Friday, February 17, 2012

On Losing Grans and Gaining Another One


"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, 
love leaves a memory no one can steal."

-From a tombstone in Ireland


On Sunday, February 19, will be Lola Maring's 5th death anniversary. And as we make plans on visiting her tomb, I realized that I'm too unfortunate for no longer having any grandmother. It's been 5 years since Lola Maring died and Lola Linda passed away late last year, too.

These lolas may be strict, but they are definitely the coolest, too. I miss how Lola Maring would ask me about boys--too sad he wasn't able to meet Jay. And I also long to exchange jokes with Lola Linda again.  The fondest memories of my childhood would have never been complete without these two superwomen. Certainly, whoever or whatever I may be in the future, I'll be taking a piece of my two lolas and live a life just like what they had--simple yet fulfilling.

I came across this quote:  "Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal." And I remembered my dearest grannies again. Nothing can heal the pain of losing them simply because nothing can replace them. Nothing but love.


Last month, someone from my boyfriend's family made a Facebook account for their beloved gran, Lola Sofia. 

And I was fortunate enough to be listed as her granddaughter. Yes, it was a simple gesture, and probably, Lola Sofi is not even aware of that. But I was genuinely touched. 

Every time we would see each other in their family gatherings and she would hold my hand, I feel LOVED. Just how my two lolas held my hand before. And just how they made me feel loved. 


No comments:

Post a Comment